Are you interested in getting involved to help your neighbors get to know each other, become more involved, and better informed? Do you want to help figure out solutions to issues in our community? Have you thought about running for Town Council?
This is the year to get involved!
Two representatives in each of our 8 census tract districts, elected alternate years, serve 2-year terms. These brave volunteers put in many hours into public meetings and working with their neighbors to help our town, and advise the County on various issues. The Council’s work shapes a lot of the big policy issues impacting our community.
Every year, candidates from each of our eight census tract areas can put their hat in the ring, get out and talk to their neighbors, and hope to get the votes to win the two year term to represent their neighborhood.
Are you interested in running? Great! Here are some hints to get started:
- Go to the next ATC meeting, held every third Tuesday of the month, at 7 PM, at the Altadena Community Center, to familiarize yourself with the players and issues. Take some time at the end of the meeting to meet your representatives, and talk to them about what it has been like as a representative, and issues in our town.
- Familiarize yourself with the rules of the ATC, and some of the issues they’ve handled. Great information about the Town Council operation are on our Politics page. You can find links to the Council webpage, an independent Council Election page, and figure out what Council district you live in.
- Soon, the current ATC will appoint an election committee who will develop a calendar for the June election, including filing deadlines, early voting dates and locations, etc. We will post the information here – but both the ATC website and the independent Altadena Election website will also post information. Stay up on the information so you don’t miss your deadline to file for your candidacy.
- Get to know your neighbors. Do some door-knocking. Start to understand what your neighbors are concerned about, what they care about. Let them know about your intention to run.
Do you know which of your Town Council reps’ term is up? Do you know if they are running again? For 2018, here are the reps whose terms end:
- CT 4601 – John E. White
- CT 4602 – Okorie Ezieme
- CT 4603.01 – Judy Matthews
- CT 4603.02 – Gloria Sanyika
- CT 4610 – Nestor De La Torre (He has announced he will not be seeking re-election)
- CT 4611 – Patricia Sutherlen
- CT 4612 – Jennifer Lee
- CT 4613 – Diane Marcussen
At NBBA we believe the more people who are involved in our Town Council the stronger voice our community will have, with County, and on issues we care about. We support multiple candidates running from each Council area, and greater numbers of our neighbors voting in the June election. We hope you will get involved this year!